Wednesday, September 29, 2021

A Hard Fought Victory


Collegiate is one of our most respected rivals. 

Across the various sports, they play hard, they play with skill, and they play with sportsmanship. I anticipate you will play some intense games against Collegiate in the years to come -- and you played your first this afternoon.

---------------

Despite having an enormous advantage in the number of shots taken, we couldn't find the back of the net in the first half of the game. You kept up the intensity for 60 minutes, though, and the decisive score came eventually.

You should feel very proud of your effort this afternoon, most notably because it was truly a team victory. The offense and the defense contributed equally; every one of you was part of the win.

---------------

Game balls:

Gavin, Jack, Charlie: The three of you formed a defensive triangle in the middle of the field that was relentless in repelling Collegiate's forward-movement and starting our counterattacks. I loved watching the way that you coordinated your movement, and I loved listening to the way you communicated with each other.

John: This was your strongest game. It was difficult to track the precise movement of the ball on our score, but I'm certain that the series of passes began when you won the ball from a Collegiate midfielder and moved it in our direction. Every goal begins on the foot of a player who doesn't get the credit in the end; this one began on yours.

Kai: GOOOOOOOOOAL!

It started on John's foot, and it ended on yours. You positioned yourself perfectly and finished with power. Beautiful stuff.

Mattie: Before the game, you set a goal of taking at least 7 shots. I am fairly sure that you achieved this ambitious goal. 

I felt your disappointment that none of the shots ended quite the way you wanted, but your offensive firepower -- and your incredible hustle on play after play -- was a key to our victory.

Mother Nature: In this week's Chapel, I will read two passages reminding us to be grateful for the natural world around us. As we basked in the warm sunshine and gorgeous blue sky this afternoon, it was hard not to be awestruck by the beauty of our planet.

Congratulations on an excellent game, boys. Let's keep up the focus and intensity next week.